Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Day 4: Dealing with Data




Sharing: pedagogy

The idea of 'what is your audience' is very valid and something I often consider... how can we create an authentic audience? Yes, we read to a buddy; Yes, we read to groups; and (when comfortable to do so) Yes, we share with the class. But how can we reach further? 

At present, we use Class Dojo and Hero to communicate and share to whanau, however I feel it is more from a teacher's perspective than a student's. 
Experts or people in the community related to our inquiry have been an authentic audience, to which we write letters or create books. We have used video, book creator, or similer tools to create and share. During maths, for example, we have used 'show me', book collage, or similar apps to explain and show our understanding (through drawing, modeling using materials and speech - recording or shared alongside). Slides have also been an option, however now I see more possibilities within this tool. 

Following this course, and with our connection to Maniakalani, I see more opporunities to share, reaching a wider audience and with more student agency. Not only to engage students and their audience, but to provide options and variety. To show students that there is always choice. What is the best way to share to reach your audience and achieve the best outcome? What new approach can I try, and what do I need to develop? 

I liked the analogy of the driving instructor driving a plain car (Blogger). You don't need a Ferrari to learn the basic skills and expectations.


I used a similar analogy to show the importance of making mistakes. As my son was on the road to getting his license this year, I asked my students... If I drove for him and didn't allow those mistakes to happen, would he ever learn to drive? I was happy to guide him along the way, but doing it for him wouldn't help him achieve his goal. 


My Sharing

Trudging through the lack of power, wifi and slow data definately produced some new challenges to achieving my goals today, so I'm happy to share my graph showing the yearly number of posts of a Year 7 student:


Other things we explored today...

Google Forms

Totally excited about the opportunities here! I had never realised that videos could be embedded. 
(I used the Google Form to create a quiz about the water cycle, including 8 questions related to a video.)



My Maps

To be updated... (I'll embed once I complete this task)
I did the Google Earth toolkit yesterday and this complemented the oportunities of getting 'outside' the classroom... exploring beyond the walls! 

Spreadsheets

I really enjoyed exploring this tool. I'm definately going to use it to store my student's data. We also use Hero, but I like having it all in one place. At the moment I am using a table in Google Docs, and it doesn't compare! (Check out my graph above👏)


Blog- being cybersmart

Positive - Thoughtful - Helpful 

(punctuation, spelling, makes sense... surface features: Use as a bases of a workshop)


A great day, even with all the powercuts adn wifi challenges. 





1 comment:

  1. Hi Karla

    Great post! I'm excited to see how you are going to develop Share with your students. Once you start thinking about possible scenarios, you'll find lots of opportunities to make it part of what you do in your everyday practice.

    I love the imagery on your form, that looks fabulous! It would be quite good if you linked the image to the real form. Increasing the file size to large would make it that much better view too :)

    ReplyDelete